Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

Is the Girl Child’s Problem more than the boy's? Or just magnified.

October 11 marks the International Girl child day. As I join the world to mark this important day, I have issues to disagree with. Of the recent time, most probably since I was born, the song has always been that the girl child is under serious inhumane receiving end. I may end up concluding my days on this planet without the song ceasing. It may not if I keep quiet. 


a magnified insect

I am not ignorant of the fact that the girl child is always-in many instances-vulnerable to misdeeds of sexual abuse, early motherhood, and reproductive problems, untitled to inheritance, violence and others that a woman may be prone to. I know that there are communities that prefer boys to girls. I know
I happen to have attended gender classes for three years at the campus and all the above had been recurring in the lectures and discussions. To present, I cannot determine whether the attendance to those classes was in any way aimed to better my views into the gender world. What would happen at the end was that the lecturer could step in to cool the heated exchange between gents and ladies. The ladies were proving gents wrong as they kept on justifying themselves. Women were the lecturers.
I grew up in a family of eight. I have four sisters and a younger brother. Our mother loved us all. What I ate, my sisters ate. What I wanted, my sisters’ also got. But I was always caught up in pinches and cains when I tended to fight with my sister. I could not outdo her in word exchanges. To bear up the pain and stop her, I went for the slap. She could then yell out and slap back. Then a fight. When mom would come home from the tea-picking job, she would be told how abusive I was and the result would be pinches, slaps and even sleep on an empty stomach when I seemed defiant. In all these, she did without listening to my views because the sisters could not give me room for expression.
I was the first to run to the river and fill the jericans before they could collect to home. We fetched firewood together. I herded alongside. It was easy to send me to the shop because I was swift. It was also safe to have me sent in the dark. But I feared the darkness!
It is not pleasing to hear that the girl child is on the receiving end to many misfortunes. If there was a one-time blow to all the problems, then I’d set a year off just to blow away the issues. The problems however continue to build and grow strong as never before. The perpetrator is assumed to be the man.
What are the effects of giving the girl child the attention she deserves? There are as many as a person would think of while settled in a haven. In the long run, the girl child happens to secure ‘wrong’ attention and the boy child is at the expense of her awareness. If you have not yet tested the trouble of an empowered girl you may not agree to this. It’s intolerable!
When we take to the stage to teach girls on matters of gender and sexuality, what should we really tell them? How should we sieve the information? How should we distinguish between the good and the bad? How should we tell them their limitations without showing animosity with the boys?  It’s been happening that the forums and discussions leave the girls more confused than before some seeing their rights so many than they can handle. They therefore get excited, feeling mighty than they should be.
I was asking a group of my peers whether they would be free to marry a country-side woman (we will be marrying soon) who is least of academic qualifications and achievements. Just as it was in my mind, they were never disapproved to it. A good lady for a spouse should not be rated by her academic qualifications, we agreed.  I however do not expect to throw such a self-explanatory question to a campus lady. This is because not even the classmates are her limits.
As we make all aware of their rights, some of us use the opportunity to incite and confuse. The real essence of assigning rights gets lost. Feminism led to radicalization of some women who later adopted lesbianism. It was also the start of bra-less ideology.
Talking is simple. Performing is the test. If I was asked to advice a young girl on issues of gender and behavior, I’d not say much. She is already informed by her vision ability. Televisions have applauded women who conquer mountains. The roads are full of half-naked women. The schools are full of liberal minded people. The families are not strong enough to advocate for anything. She is in fact free to disagree with what you may advise.
Where is the boy child? He is busy nursing neglection. The learning institutions continue to increase the intake of girl child into their programs. The boy child is in the gutters abusing illicit brew. The school was not bearable due to his explorative nature. He fights for opportunities that have already been secured. He has no one to help him. He has opted to assume women tasks to survive. He has nothing to tell a learned girl. He knows that learned girls are unbearable. But he keeps to himself.
As they grow into full beings, the girl child has a lot to offer. She can become a single mother and nurse her children. If she has no money, she can survive in the city by opting for sex work job. The unlearned boys lust at them at their night shift work places. In the cold, they guard property. That is their job. Women will be back in the morning to open the stalls and call for more rights.

Comments