Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

You can kill me

If you can ration water, electricity, keep the door locked, push the window curtain to peep, snob at my back, reserve your motives, smile when you do not mean it, hold a meeting to discuss person X, attempt a fight, fail to honour an agreement, spread wrong information about me, have hatred against me, raise a high boot in a football match, belittle my efforts, ignore my opinion, then I can’t count on you to take my bullet. You’d snatch my killer the gun and point it at me.

If you can steal exam, pay your way out, master excuses, cheat in a relationship and expect good when you can only spare your efforts, throw nylons by the road, drive off when requested assistance, plan to rob, request a commission for assisting, complain to be offended, be quick to insult, have a short temper, find no remorse in slaughtering animals, feeding the dog on crumbs, my friend, apply mascara on a black skin to appear brown, my friend, you are living a lie. You are walking dead. You murdered yourself.

If you are a parasite, riding on people’s sweat, a manager at the armchair, efficient in writing reports and sufficient in false hope, rewarding those who work for you with fractions of a dollar, signing a check at the latest hour, a promoter of poverty, a beneficiary of smuggled goods, a trader by blackmail, hungry for power and fame, you are a clown. In all Shakespearean world you are the least. An enemy’s sword is worth than your life. Your name synonyms could be Mr. Impotent, Madam Sadist and Rev. Ruthless.

If you revel in material possessions, selling and buying what Karma gave for free, a dealer in natural resources, raising walls and dogging the gate, clustering human in terms of what you have deprived them of, a participant in international forums to mock your actions, a teacher of religion and not spirituality, a sheep by day and leopard by night, you sold yourself to the devil. And the devil being the murderer he is, he comes in many forms. In your era, he was you.

If you can count hatched chicks, count Avocadoes on a tree, measure pints of grains to offer, give a shilling when you have ten to spare, point an elder by your finger, challenge your brother to fight, poison the hay, stir the well, fart in a room, hit a pedestrian and speed off, charge more than expected, seek favours to put self above others, hijack a queue, fail to assist a person because you won’t gain, you are the psycho of your time. On this you would readily defend yourself because that is the nature of sociopaths. Empathy is not their thing. Selfishness is the bond their atoms compact among. They can eat you live.


If you can disobey my teacher and I am your classmate, you can also disregard me as your friend. If you can treat my sibling harshly when you are my wife, you would make it worse on me were you married to my brother. If you can chase a maid away like a dog, a part of me was sent away too, if you can speak ill of a person absent, then who is me to think you would speak well of me when I am away? If you can privately act as a monster, how can you trust yourself to be otherwise?

Comments

Post a Comment