Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

DO PEOPLE LIKE WHAT YOU WRITE?

                                                    
Every time I post a status on Facebook and blogspot, or twitter, or whatsapp, or on Google+, because or’s are many and there are lots other upcoming sites to make one more interactive, I always have that second nagging overthought- what are the reactions of people towards my status? Will they read? How will it influence them?

I am an over thinker who goes along thinking about a small action of which somebody corrected. When I receive an applause, I think about it too. In smiles and willingness to do more. But when I receive a dislike in the form of a correction, I do ask myself a number of questions that if I couldn’t be associating with ignorance, depression would soon descend.

Different people have different tastes of information. I happen to like art and precise writings from enigma people. Some people enjoy looking at photographs of friends as others wait to see the changed marital status or wish people birthdays. Of recent I have been unfollowing all friends whose work has been to post personal photos or any other gossip related materials (I do not know how many have unfriended me). Some friends, who update too soon too long too nagging, have been on the same treatment. To compensate on the reduced number of audience, for social sites majorly aim at informing, I have opted to liking pages in relation to what I want to be informed about (diary writing)- not politicians, movies and newspapers but authors, libraries, philosophers and reckoned writers.
Source; www.mypregnancybaby.com- If people do not like it, please write for me.

What has been the effect of the new Facebook wall? Each time I log in I am welcomed by a perfect article from the New York Times, a new quote, a development in the writing world, a new release of a book, a winning art painting and an idea to ponder on. Pop ups have I liked not during the process. A friend who was spared and happens to like a page that pops on my wall receives a female punishment. I only say ‘I don’t want to see this.’ About the people to know, dominated by female figures, mine has been to ignore. With this I have been able to love my wall, feel it useful as it serves me, freely benefitting from the wisdom of people and pages, widening the dynamics of what I have to know apart from the controlled attention to them. No addiction to the site.

If people like what you write, they read, like, comment and share. When you meet them, they will not fail to remind you of your post no matter how short or long it was and how they clicked the SEE MORE button. This does not mean that when there are no likes or comments on a post the reason is no one pays attention. Yes it may be because as we live in the age of information some of us do not treasure it or rather like myopic information and they will only read what they want. When I post and receive no reply on the post, it may mean that people are ‘afraid’ to engage in such a discussion or I am just being stubborn by my words.

Words disturb. A blog spot that only writes about promiscuity and bar leisure will least guide humans to virtue. The more you give a deviative issue attention, the more it spurs. Writing about political propaganda in want to defame others is such kind of stupidity. Politics and religion are two things in my view that make man be impotent in advancement in an age. When you spend so much time talking about your political hero, a man who eats and walks on earth as you, who does not show any superiority in reason nor lifestyle, you are making a greater sin than bardolatry. All men are equal and if you esteem some above you, you are less of a human and more of our ancestors, the apes.

It also comes to the point that as some write, thinking they are the masterminds of present wisdom, as Socrates found in the blacksmiths, they err. Sometimes it would be better if we never wrote at all, kept quiet and waited for reason to dawn before carefully making words out of it. Some statement I write and regret why I did. It is because I wrote them in a one-time emotion failing to consider my all- time look at things. When emotions change, they become obsolete to haunt.

Depending on the kind of audience will my post be aired. People may read your post because of its title and others because of its author. When titles do not reflect the body of a post, the writer does the audience wrong. I do not know much about columnists and editors though I guess they are not far from saying that a well aimed post serves to inform the much waited solution to a problem. The purpose of any writing is to be on point and express words in a clear manner. If my father and mother read it, in the same understanding will my boss do and a colleague. Posts that sprout discontention are better kept at bay to be reasoned along and be posted in a manner that expresses the value of information. Let me not be misunderstood. Why should you post just to end up in court? You will be a hero, Yes. A martyr maybe. What is the gain? If you cannot simply influence, do not use force. You are lacking in style.

No one may be interested in your writings as no one is interested in mine. The lecturer may see your paper as nonsense. The aim is to keep your thoughts in writing and share. The age of reason had a statement that ‘If you know about something, share; If you do not about a thing, seek.’ Therefore, we are continuing this ancient spirit of making man use his brain rather than have a set of people thinking for him. Just as no one witnesses when you write a diary, so should no one witness when you are writing about what you want to know and what you have experienced. In so doing, you may not know when the information becomes useful and people cherish your existence. I wonder if Shakespeare knew his contribution to the world. No matter your age and position, put your thoughts down. It is a mind therapy.

A good writer is he who reads. Same to a good orator. One should not depend on own wisdom as Savonarola did. It is also written in the Bible. Instead of rumours and faking let you be guided by a true experience and a meaningful purpose of expression. The more one gets informed the less likely is he prone to issues of pride and unbaked information for there will always be a new truthful word amidst sentences in an article. The best of all is to have a diary of self so that as you write about others and the environment, you do not forget yourself. Like what you write and someone will like it and remember you for it as we do to long dead authors. 


Comments