Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

If you read my 2015 daily diary...

If you read through my 2015 diary, will you dislike me? Or will you understand me? How? Of course you may want to like me for the daily recording effort doubting that you may turn to that girl who took the 2012 diary to soak and then pour.

I don’t spare people who come into my life just as I don’t spare talking of self in the strongest manner. If you impact me with goodness, that is what I record. If I sense manipulation and sinister motives in your ‘goodness’, how well my diary peels the mask!
Well, 2015 has been a moving year. So much happened between the 1-365 days. There is no need to speak of them here. A few experiences would do best.

I have friends whom we started together the art of diary writing in January. I had spent some time urging them that it was a smart daily therapy. At the start, it worked. With time, I remained the only keeper. Not everything is for everyone. That is a point for me, is it not?

A day’s record starts with what happened from the last record. Was the sleep good? Did you dream? What was the dream? The interesting part of diary writing from my view is to remember and record dreams. Some of the dreams, in fear to forget, saw me starting to record early in the morning against my evening’s tradition. What happened in the day in its order followed till the time I tired to bed.

Something about dreams is that it is fun to remember them. The phenomena to see many moons in the sky, two setting suns, fighting when you are on the weak side, being lured to sex, meeting people who are not present in the physical life all raises one to a level of meditation. I don’t take my dreams lightly though not anxious to reflect them to what happens later- some do come true later.

Living as a bachelor the entries revolve around ‘I’ only including those I interact with in the day. Maybe in future, when I will be replaced by ‘we’, which is not possible with diary writing will be invented. There have been times (most) when life has been at its peak and a few (intense) low moments. I have lately thought of the swing as nature’s work inside- that the plants experience the same.

Writing to know who I am, to lead a life of head and tail, to look back with pride and in future with courage has opened a world that would be closed if I hurried a day off. Writing is to live twice. A person is always passive when an activity is happening no matter if he is enjoying best. In reflective writing, the person actively goes through a past event with questions and suggestions ready to learn and apply in future. Yes that not even the three recorded years can give a picture of who one really is because a human being seems to have an infinite hole in the chest which desires, thoughts and actions can’t satisfy.

Handling youth hood, late adolescence, dealing with sex, struggle of economical independence, temptations to do drugs, life fears, conflicts, being misunderstood, being wronged, finding self resisting some things have featured as important themes in the year. Unless one lives in seclusion where is one devil to wrangle with in the day- seclusion devil? The year is however dedicated to friends who have greatly offered company and support when they knew less what my ailing was. 

As 2016 picks, the main goal is to improve on 2015. Because I can always have my 2015, 2014 or 2013 a flip away, there is easiness of improvement. Remembering my task to live as an example by impacting through actions, words and writings, diary writing has always stirred the urge be pure in every moment, every day. Failure is on the path to growth hence readily met by any quick rising soul.
 
The diary speaks for itself. This article can’t. We can exchange diaries!

Happy 2016! Remember to Keep a diary.

Comments