Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

I SAW YOUR SISTER

Bra, I saw your sister. Remember telling me that you do not know where she went to? She wasn’t in a good state, bra. She sprawled by the road, sitting like an old woman observing a setting sun. She was selling thin sugarcanes, not large to her bonny legs. We used to have cracks on heels when we were young, bra. She has them now, bra. I am learned that a man who keeps discoveries to himself is not different from a murderer. And so I saw something else that may make you frown. She could not sell me sugarcane as she should. I had to take the premature plant to where she sat. She was heavy, my brother. Should I take you there?
 
I saw another girl who must be my friend’s sister. I cannot recall when I saw her last. But my eyes have never failed me! I am not those who mistake you for Hoho when you are Haha. It is her buttocks, slightly huge that she moved in a clutch-brake rhythm when we fetched water them days. She shook them like no one’s business pal. Her hands by the knees, her awesome hind poky backward, she made our mysteries elapse. I observed her bottles man. She gulped one before the other in hurry. And who was with her? You won’t believe bro. The poor chap who sired with my sister. 

Receive my call friend and I hope you suffer not from many afflictions than your sister. I address you officially because we have not known each other for long or else I‘d have hurried to the matter. It is not school that your sister came to do here in Nairobi University. She does other things besides that, more important things. She satisfies men here. I would be bothered to know such a story if I were you. We cannot run away from Earth. She was in this room the other night and she did not feel shame to fall to the whims of in, out, in, out. I am disturbed. To whom can she not say No to? To none, my guy.

And I also saw another girl in my searching to whose brother I’d write a beautiful letter. She moved like a peacock; put a leg after another in an angel’s fashion.  I saw her ahead, walked past her and turned for a better view. Her nose, her forehead, her dimple, her gaze, her teeth when I pretended to greet her! To whom is concerned do I write this letter. Does she have a bother? A brother I’d love to meet and make friendship with? Looks deceive, I know. Before I ruin her life, can somebody identify with her?

It would be useless to write to me about my sister. I know where she is and how life plays a specimen of her. She thought she knew much but now see. A woman’s curse is her body. It is not she that destroys herself. Three children at twenty two is a stupid move. She can still be whoever she want to be, I know. She can become a musician, an activist, a motivational speaker or a hot bar tender. I don't care!!!


Comments