Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

No incentives, no ears MR. SPONSOR

There were no enough caps for all the attendees in today’s meeting. What the facilitators did after coming in late was to distribute to those who had already arrived. They also know that people come to such meetings late yet their eating into time was not near to the last comer who arrived barely a closing remark away. She may have received a text message that said that money would soon be distributed. To such an attendee, she is a winner for she was not bored by the many words and only had a drink and snacks.

Such meetings are only possible with money. Organizers were ‘respectfully’ informed. The attendant will come because there is something for him. The facilitator will show up because the organization has a budget for that. The Organization will plan for it because the funder wired a fortune. None in the room is a sincere attendant- driven by a personal urge to be part of progress. All are beneficiaries- not givers. If money could get people out of poverty, there would be no slums

When one of the late attendees came at the registration desk to ask for a cap, I had no words for him. I am that kind of person who asks people to use their eyes before using their brains. Registration at the desk that was inside the facilitation room continued all through as more Adam and Eves streamed during the meeting. There was no veranda outside to keep us from the scorching sun and the morning was equally tough-freezing. Why should people who come to meetings late write their names? It depends.

When the speaker ate into time for the allocated period was way consumed, I looked at the faces of the participants. They had no much. What I was thinking about was the phone call that was made- ‘200 chapatis packed with a mandazi and the sodas’ expected to arrive. Was it necessary to provide the snacks to a focused group discussion session?

A missionary I know complained that each time she meets the Post Test Club women, they always expect a packet of 2kg corn flour. To them, meetings are not only a forum to share common knowledge but also to get a meal from. I love food a great deal- but never invite me for a meal that aims to entice. As a classmate said that she wanted to do a unit proposal project on the effects of incentives to community mobilization I thought it was a right topic that I will contribute in. But you know, campus degree education is crowded, lecturers range from demotivated to otherwise busy hence copy pasting a project researched elsewhere. To those who would wish to study and learn-on their own- the future is theirs.

The caps were accompanied by T-shirts. From my previous posts, you know what I way. When I received the XL T-shirt, you can sense my facial expression. Because it is for free, don’t refuse Lung’afa. If you had contributed for it, complains would be all yours. The T-shirts were only for us- the volunteering students from the MP’s office who were to help in registration and event organizing. I don’t think I participated because I wanted anything from them.

To say is very different from what the heart really expects. When I told the Director to the organization I volunteer in that I have no motivation towards more money in my profession he chuckled. I do not know how to explain what I want. I am writing this blogspot voluntary aiming to share experiences- I claim no critical favour. Sometimes needs may drive you to ask for capital favours- but let it be the end. The end should be in the kind of knowledge got and the kind of activity accomplished.

It happens that people never see activities as an end. Life can be very twisting with forked needs to accomplish. If I participated in cleaning a bench- that is an end; it is one of the activities that will add up to the successful meeting. When I take my mind out in confusion to think if people will notice my efforts or if they will buy to the incoming knowledge, I get confused.

As some wait for me to issue them certificates for coming to a meeting that only lasted for two hours, I shake my head side-ways. The Dean of Students refused to be signing certificates every day. Why should one be given a certificate for an hour event? He could ask. Thinking about it, there is big sense. Students want to hear of a certificate-end event. They come like it was a comedy show long before exams. Promise them T-shirts and lunch and you will not walk alone towards a children home. If you fail any of the promises, bet me they will not come next time even if you booked the school bus for they do not want to waste their time.

As the meeting today came to an end, some could not wait for the Chief to say the last word. They were already ¾ off the bottle and a nylon paper thrown on the floor in which the snacks were. Some later moved to crowd and serve self. No one wanted to think how the room came into organization and help in taking the chairs to a nearby hall. I looked forward to removing the baggy thing once the facilitators disappeared (Most walked away unsure of registering to the new idea). But the venue owners were still ‘talking’ to her.

‘It was a nice experience,’ I will tell the diary come bed time. Though many facilitators have recognized, written and complained of this, it continues to be a motivational factor in our time. We do not yet have citizens willing to treasure information and provide free audience and resources.

 
In all, we are begging. Picture Source:lefolaunga.com


Comments