Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

Of Lung'afa and his dreadlocks


Fam, help me your views.
 
I was today held in dilemma over my hair locks. Please read below and without a second thought, share your mind.  

So today I am called by Prof. Kikaya. Koza. Those who do not know him, he is the husband to aunt Neccy. Here @⁨Neccy Flossy⁩ 

I get quickly from the farm where Saniaga FC were finishing their farm work and I meet four great elders of the land - I had thought it was koza alone. And I was in this Saniaga come ODM Resist T-shirt. Not so prepared cause Prof. Kikaya is my social friend. I wished I had done a rhyming kitenge.

Only to end up meeting Amb. Vodoti Angaluki, the rich man who endowed our childhood fantasy, zooming from Sabatia to his home at Mudungu, a castle of the times, for the first time. Mr. Peter Ludava, a strict moralist, credentials held. Mr. Bearnard Chahilu, a good friend of mine. Chair person to Maragoli Cultural Festival whom we have always met at his home and talked about the good old days... a sure friend and confidential elder. Prof. Luvai had just left to another function. My father here. They are members of Kwambulana forum, committed to lulogooli linguistical preservation and propagation. 

I was mainly an AOB, the forum having invited the county governor to it's recent AGM had received Hon. Baraza, minister for Youths, Culture and Social services in representation of him (the governor) and she had asked the team to nominate a cultural interested person, research ethusiast, below 50 years to be trained on cultural research, a Providence of the county government. The person shall in return  aid the forum in some of its undertakings after training. Not more than that was communicated to me while I was there. 

Without mentioning whom it was, after two of the members saying I was their preferred option and the chair to the forum having afore forwarded my name to the minister,   there was raised a question to my grooming. Which went to perception. Where this post requests your feedback. 

Their vote came out 2-2 for me. A tie. Two were for me. Two were skeptical but a 4-0 if I only shaved, they clarified. Or groomed otherwise to all's liking.  

Now it is upon me to decide because 'others' will be suggested. I was the only choice but my locks come in the way. If I remain adamant I shall be only considered if so no other motivated soul is found. But if I came out clean shaven, it is mine a privilege to be forwarded without doubt.

Let me know what your vote would have been and reasons why. If we have met before, do you think my locks are in any way my step back? Or it is people who can be educated that  persons can still be in their best in ways they want to express themselves in?  

With Thanks

Lumadi Jenyeka: Cut them then re-attach them once you grab the opportunity. Unfortunately the gatekeepers in positions of privilege in this country are still ignorant about the issue of hair. Do not lose a good opportunity to prove a point they won't even get. It's you who has a lot more to lose

Lumadi Jenyeka: Sidenote,your locs are not always properly groomed Lung'afaπŸ˜‚It would help if you retightened often and hold them neat pony or braid them backwards

Lung'afwa Muzami: My untutored advice ; grab the opportunity! Your locs can neither whisper what you stand for nor define you but your assembly and research  abilities have been recognised. Go brother!!!!

Erick Author: Enza heee... Cut them off. They'll grow back eventually. Zisifanye ukose such an important opportunity. Kwani wewe ni Samson Ati nguvu zitaisha? 🀷🏾‍♂πŸ˜…

George Gamugoyi: Your hair and opportunity ,which is more important? Many people consciousness, regard dreadlocks fellow as having no morals hence ,they acceptance becomes a challenge,so do the necessary..

Lung'afa: I am taking notes, kinsfolk, elders and peers. And the calls are also appreciated. Just realising a child of the universe means a child who does not regard himself self made. πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ. 

Let the views come. In whatever perceptions. I do archive. They shall also help those to come who will be interested in our stories.  

With Thanks

Bensolo Ndanyi: I don't think nywele affects ideas. As long as you are doing the right thing in life the hair won't earn you money or fortune

Mourice Ganihizu: Personally am comfortable with your looks and locks. They come up with what you are presently doing .I respect and recognize you for that . The power of what you are doing currently may just may be coming from the dreadlocks. My late brother... may his soul rest in peace was dreadlocked and didn't see anything wrong with him. Kipenda roho hula nyama mbichi...so they said!!!

George Gamugoyi: For one to win war, don't underestimate the enemy

Brown Indumwa: Add on reggae colour cap. ...πŸ‘πŸ½

Govedi Muzami: Nyoa nywele. Once you have demonstrated experience within the time frame of your assignment then consider to have them back. Our community is very judgemental.

Govedi Muzami: Hehehe this is interesting. Unfortunately in this case presentation precedes what you can present in terms of capacity to deliver (time to demonstrate whether I'm dreadlocked or not)

Govedi Muzami: If you were to be given a simulation kind of interview, it wouldn't matter how you'd present yourself but this is not the case. You are enjoying a recommendation, so just drop the dreads and tip the scales. It's an opportunity and I was you, I wouldn't put it to this debate😁

Erick Author: Sasa it's not about you or your brother and his dreadlocks. We all know how things are in the US and other places. The point is this situation that he is in now. It's either he drastically changes his image or loses a chance he apparently really wants and needs. My point was, if he has to choose, he should choose the opportunity over the locks. The latter can grow back later, bit the former may be lost for good. There isn't enough time for him to preach and change the way these people think.

Govedi Muzami: Go for the opportunity, I doubt whether you can hit both. Make an informed choice and good luck broπŸ‘πŸΏ

Mourice Ganihizu: Then gonna concur with you finally....man grab the opportunity it normally comes once. Down with the locks up with the opportunity!!!

Vincent Iramuka: You're a young man. Hair will regrow. Opportunity might not come again. I vote shave. Usilale, will call you in 20

Lung'afa: Sitalala, @⁨Vincent Iramuka⁩. 

One thing in growing locks is that they are often a reaction to a certain aggression or free lance living. Where you hustle on your own, report to yourself and consider people as equal partners. 

Of course it is not in our culture and it has no good following to warrant restraint. And even myself I would shave if I was in a culture that kept locks - cause it is sometimes fun to go the opposite direction. 

It is not easy to get past baby locks - the point where twined hair stands up and looks shaggy. It is the time of ash. No wonder the shaggy ones who labour in unregulated job zones can dare keep. It is a stage I would not wish to go back to. You appear ragged, confused and slightly radical. 

With with slanted and already 10cm long locks you get accepted - or you accept yourself. You have an existing assured approach. You look a serious guy (committed to self but maybe radical from a critic's point.)  You can put them in whatever shape. Mine are masculine - clean but often untwisted. Though @⁨Lumadi Jenyeka⁩ would wish them feminine - always twisted. 

That is just more on the topic. I personally chase opportunities and pieces of hair cannot stand between. I also understand to rise one has to please. And pleasing is in getting attention of people's gracious senses - sight being the first.  

Thanks

Lumadi Jenyeka: The fact that you already keep long hair means you're embracing your feminine sideπŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚,I hope that gets you to cut them sooner

Neccy Flossy: You dear aunt, the Blood Moon... Hear her out now and hear good, bcoz even here in the UK, your hair is your choice.. Yes out there on the streets, but hey NO!! not employment to Her Marjesty the Queen's Offices. A shaved head, all off "KOJAK" is a sailor thru opportunities. Kenya is a 'Small Britain'  remember that. Choices are subtle strategies 4 opportunity lose. You have noticed most Govt officers deliberately loose their hairs (you will be interacting with and representation of a society behind you), so style up, dump the dreadies, senge...

Unfortunately you are also a thin guy, your frame and ilisu lyavaragana... Brings about the radicalism perception of you. However, dreadlocks are Good for activism and crazy youth jobs but if you dont want the opportunity... Then senje.. 'keep your hair on' but know that we the recommenders will be very disappointed. Check also your sense of dress... Turning in a t-shirt in hi-profile places.. No good. Your dress your choice and your hair you choice too but they come with consequences.

Neccy Flossy: You are sometimes stubborn πŸ™ŠπŸ™ŠπŸ˜œ legeza kidogo to keep the opportunity

Kenneth Jumba: The appearance of a soul with dreadlocks points to one thing in Kenyan perception, a drug lord, miscreant and more recently a 'mungiki." You insist on it as a case study in character freedom you loose and you blame the society as a result. The end is that we are creatures of society, society is a body of age hold collective perception. And sometimes  appearance versus  reality  prosecutes the truth.

Vincent Chahale: Which situation will help you influence culture more? The job or the dreads! Once you answer the question go for it. So choose between the job bila dreads or the dreads bila the job! I would go for option one. Several years from now when you are a bit older you will be amused that you even debated on this.

Harold Ndanyi: πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ
Wisdom

Erick Author: There was this time that two writers and I were up before a panel of old literature professors. One of us had a crop of dusty dreads exactly like @⁨Lung'afa⁩ . When he was out of the room for a while, I overheard the professors discuss those dreads with a lot of misgivings. I'm sure the dreads contributed to me and the other writer being ranked ahead of the dreadlocked one later on, although he's a very brilliant writer whom I had imagined was going to be ranked first.

Kenneth Jumba: To be precise the deadlocks have made Mochama to more or else write for himuselfu. in normal parlance, they have a pejorative connotation

Govedi Muzami: Back in the days we got a visiting Professor from Stanford on a program exchange. Two things; the guy was visibly less than 30 and second he was putting on an earring on the left year. Some of us boycotted classes claiming that we'd never seen a young Professor and worse still with an earring. When I reflect back against the exposure I got in other places I now understand that the community or society determines the prejudices we embrace.

Baba Ndanyi: My take is, the hair on your head and the nails on your toes and fingers have one thing common to them, dead cells, keep them or cut them off adds no value to anyone, they remain dead cells, the style of keeping the hair or nails is indual choice, those who are baldheaded like me would want to shave off the remaining hair,  those who have lots of hair want to style it in various ways, but the fact remains that those are dead cell with no added value to one's life; do not let dead cells hinder you from achieving your set goals.

Doc Sidika!: Dear Patrick, you sure know what my comment would be because I discussed with you about articate and your appearance especially at functions and with dignitaries(remember the CS environment visiting our Library). Please just heed to my previous advice after you have weighed out your life vision. Sidika

Lung'afa: Yes Dr. I have been recommended a barber. I have an appointment today. 

Comments