Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

A New Year Diary


It is barely a day to the New Year. I bought a diary yesterday. I am anxious to bend my pen on it. It is not the one I wanted. I wanted a good book, well-marked with dates, enough rulings for each day, not limited space for Saturdays and Sundays, well bound and with an attractive cover. Its name shall be Florence.
 
A good diary is about ten dollars. Ask a Kenyan what he could do with that exchange. The best of the bookshops sell school curriculum books. The best of the malls have two wooden stalls relegated to books. The rest of the shelves are decorated with colognes, oils, snacks and the rest. I asked some of my friends to keep diaries and it was a useless endeavor. 
When a diary is about to end the stress is in securing another on time. Stealing for gain is uncalled for. Friends and relatives may not lend you easily for a diary. There is a friend of mine whom I know can try to write but I can’t afford two diaries.  A diary as a New Year gift would serve best. Should I give him mine?
I bought a pantheraworld.com diary on 2nd of this year. I mailed the company a few weeks ago trying to explain my passion for diary writing. They happen to be much concerned with sells. I love the diary because of the quality of its papers. Sadly the company decided to print a billion of poorly designed pages only distinguished by sizes and coverings. It is good for those who will write for the first two days. To write every day for a year deserves a better design, doesn’t it?
It shall be called Florence because of her impact in my life in the ending year. We all got friends and there are some who get to walk in your shoes. I least asked for food when she was around, we had the best of the hikes and I cannot imagine she forgave me after the fight we had! I love her because she used to say amidst friends ‘I can do everything for you except fuck’. Most of the times her reactions to my intentions were pissed on by her attitude, behavior and personality. Our friendship began on 2nd and barely a year we have shared what a lifetime can accommodate. Best friends forever.
I have had a buffet of disappointments. I expect no less in the starting year. The New Year however is full of expectations. I have dreams- big dreams that when disappointments follow others I get weaker. Experience leaves one weary and susceptible. It should come with some cushioning. My ball shall go up and at the click of New Year I should see it descend. Writing is writing. It does not matter the mood.
Diary writing still plays a primary therapeutical role in my life. If I win a Guinness Record in future for keeping most of the diaries it shall be a by the way. I encourage people to keep diaries because it is a simple way to get organized and be accountable. However empty a day is there is something to reckon from it. 
Life is useless anyway. Keeping a daily diary does not enrich it. Failing to keep one is useless alike. To attain hope we find beauty in simple acts of jotting down in one’s best handwriting. Life debts you. Each day there is a price to pay. You won’t lie to self that you have strategized well when the results are below your capability.

Comments