Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

Do not tell me

I am not a person who is all ears to know about something. I do not yet have trust issues because my engagements are small. Yet my curiosity is beyond measure. If I should know by myself then let it be so. You could ask whether being informed would prevent me from damage or danger and I’d ask you whether your informing is no danger in itself.

I always do not want to be told what I think is a cliché. Keep your cheap stories to yourself. But there are simple stories- commonly known that good thinkers and orators sarcastically turn them around to inform a talk. I welcome them. But always let us work more, walk more, discuss more than we get to talking for the sake. And if you think you know something I do not know, know that I shall do my private study to beat you in your game. I am not an ‘I do not have an idea’ chap.

It were better if you wrote your sermon than me coming to listen as you talk. Listening is passive and I do it best by thinking of better things. In high school I could not manage a two hour movie gaze. I am not into waiting for a movie star to walk, sing, shoot and all those things. Zombies are informed by images. The others imagine.

When the Television airs sodomy clips, what is their intention? When people spread accident and bomb images, what do they intend to get? Pity? To feed on that is to key in garbage. It is same as junk food. News should be of development, strategies, policies and issues that spring humanity to a higher level. But we have newspapers that tell us how women put pepper in their vaginas! Information has been confused to gossiping. People idle daily online to suck them in.

And my friends have always wondered why I do not break news to them. I’d know that a lecturer won’t be coming to class but find it hard to tell my friends. It doesn’t pain me to puke it out. I am good without sharing what I know. In my selfishness I have spared a number of conflicts with the irrational. I always tend to think I am the last person to know. My simple cell phone can testify.

Ignorance is bliss. There are a whole lot of people to ignore because some sounds in one’s ears pain the hard and tear someone’s sacred day. King Solomon is reincarnated in few of our friends. If you have that friend who aspires for the best (intellectually I mean) then you have gold. Most bring about negative energies. They watch movies, hit parties, brag around and all manner of robot virtues. They are wonderfully and fearfully comfortable.


It should also take a person with such understanding to seek information at his own time. To think of a matter when all speakers are dead asleep, to ask the knowledged. To meditate for increased power of third eye so that before you are told, you knew. Instead of fainting and sprawling when life turns tragic, be prepared for the worst. People do not spread goodness anyway. Goodness is in you.

Comments