Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

Izava Walk : Fresh Air Fiend

I was told that if I had ever seen those jobless TV people who danced naked, I was such. He was a fairly aged man with a cap and boots resembling country style. Asking what an inlet stream was called made him tell me that I was a foreigner. I had thought he would be helpful.

Kids who were harvesting sand did not know the name to it but one could remember the grandmother telling it's name. As I waited for the boy who had gone to ask, he  coarsed me to give the kids some money. Where from? I had money, he said.

Kayiya is the name to it with an origin before Kivura. Kivura is the village to the famed Vodoti. There are two watersheds there however. One facing Nabwani side and the other for Izava. Wambogi is a stream sourcing from a spring from Losengeli a distance before the dried spring at Walugose.

My fresh air fiend, as Theroux notes in his adventure, told the chaps who were cracking rocks around that I was campaigning. To campaign means to talk to people and give them some money. I quickly said I wasn't doing that.

Relieved that I was gone, a woman who was washing asked me whether I knew about her clan name meaning. Very important. As much as I asked, I needed share. Unfortunately, I did not know what Vakihayo means.

Another power saw noised from a distance. Man was busy. One of the best deals is timber deal. I had early in life observed the manual mega saw that raised a heavy log up by rolling. It was taking longer in producing hardwood for the market. A power saw was born.

Comments