Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

Dear god, put me wherever on the board.

This post is in contribution to Wait But Why’s post- The Infinite Checkerboard Quandary. Thanks to Tim for such high-tech reading composes.

‘Here’s the deal’ as Tim introduced:
You’re an omnipotent god, and you’re told by your boss that you have to create an infinite checkerboard—one that extends forever in every direction in a 2-dimensional plane. You’ll then create an infinite number of new humans and put one on each square of the board, where he or she will live forever. Both the board and the lives of the humans on it will exist for an infinite eternity of future once you make them. Your boss gives you two options for the type of board you create:
Editted picture. Source; waitbutwhy.org
This was his summary answer:
If you’re concerned with infinity of space, you pick the happy board with a drop of sadness. So the logical answer to Question 1 is the happy board.
If you’re concerned with infinity of time, you pick the sad board with a happy drop. So the logical answer to Question 2 is the sad board.

My answer is:

First, the comments given on the article illustrate people narrowing down to HOPE and DESPAIR answers. With no one interested in despair, we seek for hope- hence preferring the happy board. Sad-or funny-enough, people think they are living in a desperate world and they have all the evidences to prove. They think that they were born on a sad board (soil). Ask any layman whether the world is ideal and he will tell you that not even Elon Musk is free of worries (though his worries may be advanced).

I look at the boards from an angle of reality (secular) and illusion (religion). Sadness is real. Happiness is illusion. Where tYou can also think vice versa if you are a good debater. We would want to be perfect- to do things as we wish and want. But the gods and their bosses do not want to be jobless if so they exist. As you exist you should work- even in illusion. This is why dreams involve us running away from the one-eyed ogre.

I would not care on which board I will be because it doesn’t matter in which status I will be infinite in. Reality tells me that there is no infinite goodness/badness. What if badness is seen from the other way round? I have seen boys run away from healthy homes to streets and the poverty stricken blame their parents for being such lazy and unfortunate. To think that street life is not ideal is to be opinionated. Ask the boys whether they think they are suffering. They are alright- from their perception.

To think that the drop will never reach you- of sadness as of happiness because of time (not told how many years) is a matter of gambling- sweet to my ears. It may, it may not. I would wish to be born on a happy board that I will have died before the sad drop reached me. What a happy life! Or there is no death in happiness? And if I was born on a sad board, then let me be near the epicenter- where the drop will give me soon happiness. This is if sadness is not a death striker.

To say that if I be placed on the sad board with a drop of happiness is the best choice to ever do is like to tell a child to study hard for a better future. It also abuses my presence. It makes me suffer at first waiting for something I may never find- assuming that I am at infinity of sadness. This is an example of advises that we give when we think we are rational- things we would never do under some real need.

Importantly last, if you say that the happy board will always have happy people at infinity, what do you mean? The question was about me. Me! It is not about the others and their happiness or sadness. It is about me and the happiness I would want to conserve. I may think I am at infinity today and be engulfed in the sadness circle tomorrow. There is no wisdom there.

In summary, I would let the god put me on the board he thinks best and have self ‘evolve’ for that position. I will survive!

Comments