Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

MOON; 7-08-2015 (The power of Alternatives)



This was the look in heavens today 8th at 4am

The only way I can survive in my world of ‘perfectionism’ is by having a strong alternative spirit. I use the diary to guide me in the day. What I wrote is what I strive to do- I can opt for a superior activity but not at all a lesser one. When they fail, I get sick. When a meeting I long waited for doesn’t occur, I feel bad.

And so I was in town late in the evening to see the beggars. They had not reported to work. But Nairobi town is a forest of beggars- there were others I talked to. And the talk was so moving that I thanked God that I never met them. And when what was expected doesn’t come along, what comes is equally helpful- maybe for the next time.

So what happens when sleep fails? When plans go wrong? When hope fades? Alternatives! Instead of denial, hit acceptance jackpot. Agree that you not perfect, recall past good memories and promise yourself that you can do better. In school when I failed, I only saw hope in the next paper- and it never disappointed.

Thinking that if I do not see the moon I’ll have to call mama and ask her about the skies of Ukambani, eyes were compensating their closing the previous night. The alarm at 2pm found no moon in the sky but the wakefulness at 4pm identified a few stars up and the satellite. I had woken from a dream that connected to the one on 4th or 5th if you have read the previous moon posts. In the dream the acronym messages were now explained in the sky. It was happening because I had a diary- that I could record for others as evidence. And the shaking! And the voice of God in the ears telling me something like I can't run away. More trembling...then no sleep. What a beautiful moment that followed when I went out to urinate on the grass. It is good to be solo so that such kind of madness someone doesn’t think about them against you. I ruled the night.

Focusing on the ill moon- because it is about to die-the alternative is to prepare for its absence. Good people will come and go- the alternative is to have the right mind set. We shall all conquer the pains of one-way thoughts if we have as many alternatives that the main highway doesn’t brag to be the only path. 

The alternative to see the moon was to be awake. Dance or die! The alternative to get the beggars out is to sustain their lies, unreliability and uncertainty of the future. And if I do not have time to do what I had planned for I should not get sick- there can always be a better thing for me.

Comments