Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

MOON 6/09/2015 (Hangover)



It was a travelling back day. And to most of the events that break monotony, some of which we are rigid to accept, I had no otherwise.. If you went to a good place and you were hastened by time to leave, you feel the threat. If people visited you- people so dear- and there came a time to leave, there is always the vacuum they start creating as they prepare; will the place be a bore without them? 

And what about the moon? The sky in the city is not as spectacular as the one in rural Ukambani. It is polluted. If there was a way, I’d shut down the smokes and lights in the capital. I had never looked in the skies with such merrily eyes before. Clouds- false clouds- will overlap my sight. Will it be the end of the cycle?

The moon is also very delicate at this point in its cycle. Will I manage to see its last crescent? I would want to end the cycle in a style. Will it leave me hanging? Did id die so soon in surprise? I would want to go back in the cycle and see it again.

Friends and relatives at the gathering will also disperse? When shall we meet again? In death? Hangover. May we meet again in peace, under moonshine.

I was also tense whether I will find the beggars in town and talk to them. On Sunday’s they take an ‘off’. I met a different group of similar course, had to bend and talk to them as people passed by. I have started to miss them in my thoughts for surely they will beg no more.

To sleep, it was long since I loved the bed. Thinking that sleep will play its games, the clear night sky bore a hazy covered sky that the morning moon could not be seen. Hang over! Will the moon be seen again? Or its over for the cycle?

I wished to have been back to see the moon.

Comments