Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

Did you have permission to translate Things Fall Apart?

Neccy Flossy: (forwarded) I don't like this conversation.  It is bordering on piracy.  Who gave permission for the novel to be translated,  in the first place? The translator should approach the publisher asap. Ndugu Henry, I have no intention of condoning piracy....but I was quite excited to have a maragoli version of 'Things Fall Apart' ...I am an edged student of African Literature. I'm sure all of on this forum were equally excited. I had thought there was a lrited colt of it in our vernacular,  and I understand your concern. Have a blessed  Sunday

Neccy Flossy: (forwarded) The translator is advised to contact the publishers,  EAST AFRICAN EDUCATIONAL PUBLIHERS LTD, or he can call me directly at 0722 51 62 74 for informal advice.

Neccy Flossy: πŸ‘†πŸΎπŸ‘†πŸΎLungafa.... Call the numberπŸ‘†πŸΎ4 advice.

Lung'afa: Thank You. I will call the person for a talk. 

What is the forum that the discussion came from? 

Thanks

Lung'afa: (two days later) Let me share here for the sake of all following and interested in the Translated Things Fall Apart by Achebe. 

The contact given there is for Henry Chakava himself! So he had aristocratically texted back when I had inquired by the number that I was requested to meet him via. I went, Hams Hotel, exactly noon. 

He said he was foremost curious to see who had translated. That ended at greetings. As it happens with many who go like ...You are the so and so...😁

He asked whether I had published it. I said No. He asked whether I had a motive in translating it. I said No. He asked what made me do it. I said For Fun. I have of course read the book near ten times. Among others that I later told him they would be fun to translate too. 

He introduced himself as Henry Chakava, chair of East Africa Educational Publishers Limited and gave me his card. He pointed at the noble team of elders comprising Kwambulana group at the very venue. He said they were working on educational books, to be published in Maragori. 

He wondered of this Maragori thing instead of Mulogooli. Yet he agreed Chigama and Chavakari are not Kigama and Chavakali respectively. He added that the elders were also going ahead to work on Maragori orthography which will guide writers and readers. Very well. 

We parted. With a word that when Ngugi wa Thiong'o comes to launch the books, I may greet him. But inside I still wanted something. To present my case at the table of orthography for the team doing it to gauge if I am right or wrong. R is the letter, not L. I hope I will write a letter to seek their audience. 

- With Thanks.

Sande Olocho: This is good.
You should be encouraged and your passion nurtured.

All the very best in your quest.

Erick Author: Wooow!! That's great bro!!!πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎ

Erick Author: Great to see another Saniaga author rising !!

Neccy Flossy: Fantastic man. You met the elders (tick). You met the chair of EA Publushers (tick), of course he has an interest in it, snd everybody else. He will go thru the ropes to seek permission 4 stuff to be published. Youngman, no one publishes a book themselufus, others contribute. We have argued here the use of "elooos" and "erooos". You will get away with many eloooos in your writting than you would in eroooos (in speach) which eroos have to be used specifically in written. ELoo is a very significant letter in olologooli trasposit it with araaas, Nway! . Good work boy but write to them uwambie hata kwenda kwa saiba as fun is costly. Wakohenze emoni! HOW COME THIS TIME THEY DID NOT NOTICE YOUR SMART HAIRDO! hehehe

Comments