Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

A welcome song to Saturn

Welcome Back, Father!

It is long since you left home
Visiting all your faithful houses
It is years! You spent much time away
The kid you left of me
Is twenty seven plus!

The first Saturn return it is
And it is said it means much
To any other soul
For it says, 'YOU 27+ OLD!'
Time to do it again
For three years, while home
There'll be sharing, while you were away!

It has been a struggle, Father!
Since you left me, Father!
It was purposeful, Father!
I can see why, dear Father
The ball was rolled to the cage

From the family pictures of '91
A smiling bouncy boy malnourished at '93
And the first school encounter of '96
Was fearfully dilapidated by the new millennium of 2000
So that as circumcision came in '02
The weak man in me grew weaker in '05
Least of parental care, I took to illusions in '07
And you could hear me pray to pass my exams of '10
For all problems would end thereafter!

In the middle of it all, dear Father
You had the moon and the sun
Conjuncting on my solar chart
It was not all an agony anyway
For best of the moments and memories
Are not of a smiling cheek

It is therefore a welcome home
To see the '90 seed you left me
Look at the drawer garden, Father
Does it look of a careless child?
Look at the diaries I've recorded
Have I been a true soul to self?
But the meditations of my heart
How shall I purify myself, Father?
You know me through

Take a sit Father, take a sit
I bought a pot for cool water
Tell me your adventures Father
Have humans been fated a new?
What does the great whirl say
Where are my odds henceforth?

I'll be patient, Father!
Three Years, before you leave again
Three Years, to shed my skin
Three Years, in your shade
Three Years, guiding me to maturity

Hallowed Father!

Comments