Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

A genuine request for a motorbike

Greetings Family, 

I would like us to pause our discussions and think of my request to you. 

I am looking forward to accessing a motorcycle for purposes of my movements. 

For a long time now I have used my mountain bicycle to visit Saniaga homes in aim to pen down our history. The longest cycle was when I started from Chavakali to Kakamega to Webuye to Naitiri to Nangili (where I lodged with Mzee Ogova) and after two days left following Eldoret to Kapasabet route and back. That is but one. The bicycle has greatly assisted in penetrating most of the locations in Vihiga and surrounding counties, and in all that I have not failed to pen down what I enquired from the places I went to as evidenced on saniaga.blogspot.com

Going ahead, with the bicycle still a worthwhile mode of transport to me, I will need to secure a motorcycle. Simply because it is faster. Where as a bicycle would let me handle a single activity a day, the motorcycle will necessitate two or more activities due to quickness. 

The ongoing activity, Saniaga Oral Genealogy Search, requires facilitation due to the scattered Saniaga families. Our aim is to reach each and every home, exhaust Vihiga County in documentation which thereafter we shall start on neighbour counties. If I bank on the bicycle or paying to be carried by a motorcycle, it may slow the process and other things catch up with me. We expect to have a clear migration and settlement narrative worth adoption for our study in good time.

The ongoing Saniaga groups needs visitations time after time to keep them aware of what other groups are doing. Members who are benefitting from the very group's ideas should also be visited to keep the Saniaga story motivating when success ones are brought forward. Areas where there are no groups should be organized in forming others. All that, Family, requires constant movements. 

I would not have brought this plea to you, Family, had I had means to access a motorcycle as of now. I am self propelled and I would have selflessly bought one and went on with the tasks of building Saniaga with little bother to you. But on the positive side it is such limitations that allow me to always fall back for your support which in turn creates whole ownership of the process. 

So that by us pulling together to access the motorcycle, you will have facilitated the future Saniaga activities where the motorcycle will take part. That is much better than if I was time after time given a few shillings by volunteers among us to top on my efforts. 

I therefore humbly move you to having an open discussion on this and timely delivering. Not that without it anything shall become stagnant. In all ways the process, in faith, shall keep on. And you have seen and heard from me severally in my quests, your choice now to see whether my request is justified. 

Agreeable, then we can proceed to cost, mode of contributions, timelines and any other nitties. 

-: I concur. Best way to hasten genealogy of our fathers. Count me in. I encourage us all to think about this noble idea. Let's get started.

-: PLEASE FAMILY RESPECT THIS GENUINE REQUEST. I SUGGEST, TAFADHALI KEEP AWAY AND OFF YOUR FORWARDINGS AND VIDEOS. TO ME IT SHOULD NOT BE A PERSONAL REQUEST BUT A SANIAGA CBO PROPERTY AND HOPEFULLY WE SHOULD FUND IT

-: I support.If we each raise Ksh.500/= we can acquire this facility for the CBO

-: Which number do we send the funds to?

-: The logbook will be in name of the CBO.No stress.Lets get a Treasurer for the project?

-: That's my Sister. Kutenda tuu. Sio kusema sema. @⁨Lung'afa⁩  let me know when,where and how much as soon as it is decided too.

-: I support. Expect my financial contribution in due course.

-: I support 500 shs each

-: Count me in

Comments