Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

Why aren't our heroes celebrated?

-: Patrick my sincere thoughts are that the Maragoli heros are not celebrated because they never developed other maragolis other than their families. I mean only their children had a privilege of good schools and thereafter good jobs. Their homes could not be accessible to common maragolis!! I personally experienced this when I made it to go to Alliance. Why do you think they have no visitors? Anyway! This was an eye opener to me and I vowed to help fellowship maragolis/Baluhya when I was in public service. We suffered in poverty.

-: My grandfather Samuel Kivi had cousins at wandidi. They are the reason my late sister Jounita got land and built a house there. My cousin did an oral literature recordings for his master degree at KU. I will find out if he still has the cassettes. I remember he interviewed many aged men and women in Maragoli. 

-: Just think about it! Infact the change to Kibisu in politics was squarely based on what I have just written. Maragolis were very bitter with the way their children couldn't get to good schools despite good performance! I might be wrong but it was used in politics. When Kibisu went in, then schools opened up for Maragolis. I remember some maragolis even took up Kikuyu names ( kariuki,kamau etc) and were called for form one at Alliance boys. In my time, my letter delayed in provincial office and another one done for me for Butere girls. When I adamantly refused to go to Butere and told my parents I don't want school anymore unless it's Alliance(the school I chose twice and Butere), my letter resurfaced  top envelop written Leska Idah whereas the inside contents bore my three names correctly spelt. It was almost returned to sender. These were just tricks. My elder sisters missed their letters completely. Corrupt practices have been with us  this again is the reason I refuse to be corrupt and treat each individual respectfully. The reasons I thought of Libraries in Maragoli. 

-: I get you Doc. 

And I was considering what best way to  air such so that we do not appear complaining. 

I have interviewed a Saniaga elder who told me that. How bright students would remain as those connected prospered. With examples.

- No comments

Pic source; online

Comments