Skip to main content

Featured

Heavy responsibilities for elder aunt among the Logooli

With Seenge Fonesi. She is the elder grand daughter of Isagi and elder daughter of Amugasya. She is often present in functions involving the family of Amugasya. Pic taken on 18/4/2024. The elder sister soon becomes the elder aunt. It is this “seenge munene” (elder aunt) tag that she is tied to many cultural responsibilities – back home. To her marital family she may appear as any other woman, but she is not so in the eyes of her people. Marriage does not steal her away as it would happen with other daughters of the old man. To her, as days go and the old man and woman of the estate are dependents, she becomes increasingly present.  Her brothers also need her for almost all traditional markings. They are marrying, she needs to welcome the new wife. They are giving birth, she needs to come to midwife or “bless” the new born. They are paying dowry she needs to lead the women delegate. There is a conflict she needs to come for a hearing.  And many others. Traditions does not expect her to

Talk, talk, talk, More talk,

Karani Walter: Vwira vosi? Or vwira mwosi?

Lung'afa Igunza: It is Vosi, not mwosi. Vosi is all, mwosi is whole (internally) or it would be wosi (externally). It is like hosi and wosi. Hosi is for everywhere, havundu hosi, wosi is wholly, at large. Wosi is of yosi, gosi...all. And it takes me to Rwosi. Rwosi means all-time, every other time. Habitual.

Martin Kidiavai: Hio 500 tutoe this month..ata mimi nilikuwa bado na nitatoa....nani whip?

Lung'afa Igunza: Whip ni Govedi. Muulize kama ametoa. Najua akitoa ataharakisha watu wacha tu.

Govedi Muzami: Martin Kidiavai you will know the  Chief Whip kesho although this position is not apportioned in our constitution.....basically I will posting individual reminders to you to beat the registration deadline amongst other competing deadlines to emerge. Yes kesho I am paying mine tayari ngurizi  zingoko zyange ziviri......Lungafa kindly don't spell check my Maragoli we are all learning.

Lung'afa Igunza: ugurizi zingoko zizio ziviri. NOW, there is tendency to say Zizyo, zyange, zyavo. Because of the slippery Zy. Like 'ry'. Ryia, ryange, ryuva has  been the language but Ndanyi, I guess he did it right, did knock off the slippery 'y'. It is Ziange, ziavo, ziaga, riavo, riuva.

Selma Nolega: Lung'afa your maragoli is awesome...do u offer classes to those of us who cannot even tell if zyavo and ziavo are fruits ama greetings ama pronouns.

Govedi Muzami: Thanks Lungafa.....we dont need to fear writing in Maragoli for the fear of being corrected.....besides other objectives, this a learnining forum /community

Mudengani Kisia: Remember to quote msakuru where possible lung'afa, otherwise al curse you! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Metrine Saniaga: One day from work I was tired n jumped in a mat (from westlands to uthiru)sat next to the door n relaxed later on the way,the person I sat next to was talking in Maragoli on his phone ...I assumed knowing aaah luhyas tuko wengi later something clicked my mind I remembered how one of my very best friend a kalenjin told me how they never let go anyone they come across speaking their language, in fact She'll make sure to ask of the clan until she makes friends n that how deals are striked ( esp za govt). So I decided to inquire from this guy where he comes from after a brief chat we discovered we're both saniaga n on this platform, unfortunately I was alighting the bus, very happy to have met one of my own though Jina nilisahau๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™Š ..... Kama bado uko cheers man it was my pleasure .
Hope someone will borrow a leaf from my long story

Govedi Muzami: Very soon all postings (including forwards from other languages apart from Maragoli) before being posted here will have to be approved by our honourable  Chairman Ndanyi

Lung'afa Igunza: Hahaha. We can organise. Anyway any word that goes '-avo' means ownership in plural sense, '-ange' in singular sense.

Back to pronouns, Yange - ziange
Wange -  vange
Chavo - viavo
Riavo - gavo
Wavo - vฤvo
Etc.

Lulogooli is long, interesting and humorous.

Lumadi Jenyeka: Vwakira vaana vitu.
Ndeva MCA musaniaga ura avee mu kiduma yiki?Ndarora ku ibicha yeye muno.
Mbeye nindi official vutumwa from my workplace vwa nambe nimbilanga speaker wavo on Monday.
Ndakayanzi kwagana nu kumucheriza ku kandi naye Monday eyo!

Govedi Muzami: In a separate discussion  I will urge our Chairman to ban English posts in this forum. There are Saniagas in this forum who can speak impeccable good French, German and Chinese yet cannot speak Mara๐Ÿค”็ˆธ็ˆธๅŽปๅ“ช้‡Œๆœ‰ๅ–่Œ๐Ÿ™„

Kibisu Joash: I have my nephew who did GEOSPATIAL ENINEERING  second class upper. Anyone who might come across such a vacancy to vontact me through this FORUM or inbox me

Mudengani Kisia: Al try contact my guy about the same, he'll give some direction. Mgamba.

Mudengani Kisia: Al contact his fellow mates kesho, then give direction. Geospatial ni ya uon I know. I   graduated with some of the guys. Will talk to them.

Comments